We’re Committed to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
Diversity, equality and inclusion are about improving the lives of all people within the communities we serve. Housing plays a fundamental role in everyone’s life and directly influences our access to social and economic opportunities, which directly affects our wellbeing. Community Housing Development Corporation is taking a lead in driving diversity, equity and inclusion in our programs, policies and practices.
In order to help achieve this goal, we have formed a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion team to emphasize our cultural commitment to build programs and offering within our organization that reflects the diversity of our communities, and to create an environment that welcomes individuals with a variety of talents and perspectives to strengthen our organization and help us deliver our intended outcomes and make a positive impact.
CHDC’s Equity Statement
CHDC is an organization that exemplifies an inclusive working environment where diverse voices and perspectives are heard and valued. It is our moral imperative to embark on an intentional journey that will influence and support our equitable culture. CHDC is committed to:
- RESPECTING diverse cultures and identities as one of the core values guiding CHDC’s work in Its various lines of business.
- ACKNOWLEDGING the systems and institutions within our industry that exist which may perpetuate inequities, and understanding it is our responsibility to deconstruct those ideas and practices.
- PROMOTING racial equity, diversity, and inclusion as we interface with our clients in all facets of our work.
- EMBRACING diversity by fostering a safe and inclusive environment where people are encouraged to express their opinions and speak their truth responsibly.
- GATHERING unique perspectives to shape and influence how to solve problems, make decisions, and advance CHDC’s mission.
- ENSURING that inclusionary practices are imbedded deep within CHDC’s corporate culture and are reflective of our engagement with one another and the communities we serve.
- ESTABLISHING a fair and equitable framework as we set goals, establish practices and our organizational culture.
- REFLECTING on our equity goals and outcomes to hold ourselves, our community and stakeholders accountable to our shared values
Our dedication to achieving equity within our organization and our community will continually evolve as we strive to be impactful in our approach to respond to our staff, our stakeholders, and the needs of the communities we serve.
Why Equity is Important
Fifty-one years ago (1968) last April, in the aftermath of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King and with a national housing market that suffered decades of discrimination in the sale, rental and financing of housing, Congress passed the Fair Housing Act of 1968. In that legislation (FHA), the nation took a major step forward to erase housing inequality in American communities. CHDC is committed to looking at opportunities for diverse stakeholders to develop programs, policies and practices that provide equity in affordable housing. We’re developing a shared picture of the housing, supportive services and operational infrastructure to determine when our programs enhance or limit opportunity, and to develop forward-looking strategies and partnerships that can address diversity and equity challenges.